MELT IN YOUR MOUTH Chinese Braised Pork Belly Recipe (Lu Rou Fan / å¤è‚‰é¥)
Lu Rou Fan is a Taiwanese braised pork and rice dish. The meat is typically stewed for at least an hour and a half so it is so tender. If you've never had it before, you should give it a try!
[USA] BUY MY WOK â€“ https://amzn.to/2HynUzh
[REST OF WORLD] BUY MY WOK â€“ https://forms.gle/r2YBBgtZbCejToVk8
MY AMAZON INFLUENCER PAGE - https://www.amazon.com/shop/influencer-078efbf8 (I share ingredients and recommended products there)
PRINTABLE RECIPE â€“ https://soupeduprecipes.com/lu-rou-fan/
**FOR MARINATING THE PORK BELLY**
- 2 tbsp of light soy sauce [2æ±¤åŒ™ç”ŸæŠ½] [Kimlan light Soy Sauceï¼šhttps://amzn.to/2KS8wOE]
- 1 tbsp of Shao Xing wine [1æ±¤åŒ™ç»å…´é…’] [Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine: https://amzn.to/2RW4KWG]
- 500 g of pork belly [500å…‹çŒªäº”èŠ±è‚‰]
**FOR MAKING THE FRIED SHALLOTS**
- 2 shallots [2ä¸ªçº¢è‘±å¤´]
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil [1/2æ¯æ¤ç‰©æ²¹]
**FOR BRAISING THE PORK BELLY**
- 1/3 cup of Shao Xing wine [1/3æ¯ç»å…´é…’] [Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine: https://amzn.to/2RW4KWG]
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce [2æ±¤åŒ™ç”ŸæŠ½]
- 1/3 cup of fried shallot [1/3æ¯ç‚¸æ´‹è‘±]
- 3 slices of ginger [3ç‰‡å§œ]
- 2 pieces of star anise [2ä¸ªå…«è§’]
- 50 grams of rock sugar [50å…‹å†°ç³–]
- 3 cloves of garlic [3ç“£è’œ]
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce [1èŒ¶åŒ™è€æŠ½]
- 1 tsp of five spice [1èŒ¶åŒ™äº”é¦™ç²‰] [Amazon link: https://amzn.to/2QNJ1n3]
- 1 and a half liters of water ( If your pot/wok is air-tight, use less water) [1.5å‡æ°´ï¼Œå¦‚æžœä½ çš„é”…å¯†å°æ€§å¾ˆå¥½ï¼Œå¯ä»¥æ”¾å°‘ä¸€ç‚¹æ°´]
**ADD WHEN SERVING**
- 1 Egg [1ä¸ªé¸¡è›‹]
- Bok choy [ä¸Šæµ·é’]
**HOW TO COOK**
**MARINATE THE PORK BELLY**
- Cut the pork belly into strips. Then cut it into small size. It is about half inch thick.
-Mix it with 2 tbsp of soy sauce, and 1 tbsp of Shao xing wine. Set it aside for at least 30 minutes.
**FRY THE SHALLOTS**
- Cut the shallots into thin stripsã€‚
- Add 1/2 cup of oil to a small sauce pot, fry the shallots on low heat. It will take about 5-8 minutes to get it golden brown.
- Strain it And you got your fried shallots.
**BRAISE THE PORK BELLY**
- Heat up your wok. Add in your pork belly without oil. Stir fry it on medium heat.
- Once you see it is getting a little burned on the bottom, then add the Shao xing wine, soy sauce, rock sugar, ginger, garlic, star anise and a pinch of five spice. Keep stirring it until the sugar melts.
- Pour in 1 and half liter of water.
- Add in the fried shallot we made before and add a tsp of dark soy sauce for color.
- Bring it to a boil. `
- Turn the heat to low, let it stew for 1 -2 hours, depends on how tender you want.
- After 1 and half hours the sauce still pretty thin. And there is a lot of fat floating on the top. Skim out the fat so your pork wonâ€™t be too oily.
- Now you gonna turn the heat to high, start reducing the sauce. It will just take about few minutes. You will see a lot of bubbles and the sauce is getting thick.
- When the sauce is almost gone, you can turn off the heat.
This is perfect to serve with rice. Serve it with some vegetables and an egg for a nicely balanced meal!
Hope you enjoy! If you have any questions, just post a comment.
...and if you've read this far, might as well subscribe. More recipes coming soon =)